(by guest blogger Jeff Stitt)
One of the questions we get asked most often is "Why are you moving to Africa?" It's a very understandable question, as before May of this year, it would have not occurred to me that Africa was a likely destination.
The short answer is that we've been offered an opportunity for a great job in a very exciting part of the world.
It was a surprise to us as well, but back in May, when I was starting to look for my next opportunity, I was talking to a friend who has been very supportive at work and he asked if I'd like to consider the role of Chief Compliance Officer for GE-Africa.
Needless to say, I felt that I needed to consult the Michele before I committed to that. We both felt good about considering the opportunity. After further research and prayer, we determined that we should move ahead and look at the role.
In September, GE asked Michele and I to visit South Africa. I also went to Nigeria and Kenya to get a feel for the traveling I will do. On these trips, we found good schools, a welcoming ward, nice neighborhoods, and wonderful friends (old and new). We continued to feel reassured that we should move forward. So in November, I officially started in my new job, a job I have the opportunity to create from the ground-up.
Here are a few pics of our trip to South Africa:
Here's a picture of the highways there. Other than the right hand drive cars, it looks pretty good (My understanding is that rush hour is kind of tough though).
Michele and I visited Nelson Mandela's home in Soweto and the Apartheid Museum. We also went to this cool market in a renovated urban area. It kind of reminds me of Pike's Place Market in Seattle (without the smell of fish).
It makes it much easier to move to the other side of the world if you already have great friends there.
This is a picture of where John will be going to school - the American International School. It feels very So-Cal.
And finally, this was what clinched the deal for Kate....her favorite store is in the mall there!
So, there is Part I of why we're moving to Africa. Stay tuned as we discover more reasons. And come see us there!


No comments:
Post a Comment