Sunday, February 10, 2013

Africa Contingent Update


Early Adventures in Africa
by Jeff

Well, I've had some great times so far...I've arrived in Africa, located a home, our church, a bank account (they charge for EVERYTHING here, including if you make a deposit - I don't think I will complain about Citi again!), a car, a laundry AND done some actual work for my new job...not too bad for a short time on the ground.  Oh yeah, and remind me to tell you about the Angolan visa process sometime.

Then, since things were getting a little routine, I decided to go to Nigeria.  I started off in Lagos on Sunday and part of Monday, packed up and went to Port Harcourt on the Niger Delta for 2 days of meetings, and back to Lagos for a day.  Then I caught the red eye home (which is now Joburg, South Africa).

Nigeria is really cool.  It has a sense of energy and optimism that is unbelievable.  But it is a little more difficult to travel in.  I've got some pictures to share.

     I flew from Lagos to Port Harcourt on Arik Air, which is a bit like Southwest, complete with a free full-body frisk as you head up the steps to the plane.  

This is the Port Harcourt INTERNATIONAL Airport

Arrival & baggage claim

     Ok, so I've never waited in a baggage claim TENT but it was very cool!  There is amazing growth in Port Harcourt.  I was speaking with a Nigerian about the massive shifts in the economy over the last decade that are driving some of the changes from an agrarian lifestyle to a fully industrialized one.  It's interesting to observe.  People are very friendly and like to talk and exchange pleasantries as well.  I really enjoyed my visit.

     Another very interesting item for me was the security.  My company likes to keep folks safe, and so I had police escort and lots of guards.  I felt a bit disconcerted, but also, what guy doesn't occasionally dream of having a full security detail?
    
     Finally, I just wanted to let you know that Nigeria won their semi-final match against Mali today:
 4 to 1!  (Shout out for Brian J.) and are in the Africa Cup Finals.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates! We will live vicariously through your experiences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the updates, so keep em comin!! I'm not sure if the security would make me feel more or less safe. Glad GE is taking care of you. Brian watched the game this morning, and dreamed of being there in person. Love from Seattle!!!

    ReplyDelete