Friday, March 8, 2013

One picture from Luanda

I'm posting a picture I took in Luanda, Angola from my hotel room, because I felt that it highlighted much of the contradictions and conflict that I see in my travels.

In the upper left hand corner, appropriately behind everything else, are all the ships in the oil fields. Although they look peaceful, this is the source of much conflict in Angola, and across the region. I heard, although cannot confirm, that oil was what allowed the government to defeat the rebels in the 38 year civil war. Another contradiction is with the beautiful palm trees that dot the shoreline of the beautiful beaches here.

I was also struck by the cranes that dot the skyline, especially across the top of the picture, with the hopeful feel of growth and support and by the contrast to the slums you see lower center. The slums are everywhere, and everything is so expensive. A 0.5 liter bottle of water was $13 US Dollars! A cheeseburger and fries, $45.00. So much wealth and growth, and so much squalor.

I was also struck by the disparity, and by the DeBeers building (center left). Here is a sign you won't see in the US as it's a cartel that is openly manipulating the diamond markets, including blood diamonds that fuel so much conflict in the region - an open symbol of corruption in my mind.

What other contrasts do you see?


I am a bit behind and owe a post from my last trip to Nairobi and Accra. I'm headed back to the states this week and will pick up my family and then we all come back to ZA!

Hope all is well
Jeff



No comments:

Post a Comment